Confession time. I’ve been in a downward spiral with my nutrition. For anyone who thinks I have self-discipline perfected, nothing could be further from the truth. Though I know how I should eat, I struggle sometimes, too.

Vacations are a time for family, fun, and food! Though I tease my brother-in-law about planning his vacations around where he’s going to eat, the truth is… so do I.

But, it can be a recipe for a nutritional disaster.

picjumbo.com_foodiesfeed.com_DSC_0004

Our family vacation to Washington D.C. over Thanksgiving was exactly this kind of disaster for me. Our rental property had a full kitchen, but without a car or nearby grocery store, use of that amenity was limited.

We relied, instead, on a daily dose of breakfast sandwiches (the bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel variety) and coffee (heavily creamed) from a nearby bakery. I managed to avoid the homemade chocolate dipped donuts and other pastry items (yum!). But the caloric intake far exceeded my normal 2 eggs and toast breakfast.

IMG_1446
First meal after hopping off the plane. Our only non-bakery day.

After walking miles and miles, we were always ready to eat. Lunches were Chinese food, burgers (did you know D.C. now has a Shake Shack?), and museum cafeterias. Our one amazing lunch at a salad place, Chop’t (look them up), didn’t offset the rest of the nutritional landslide.

IMG_1480
Miles and miles walked on Thanksgiving Day. The trek from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial was cold!

Dinner? One word… delivery. By the time we crawled back to our rental at the end of the day we just wanted to stay in. Pizza and chinese food were a phone call away. Thanksgiving night we enjoyed (?) frozen pizza after discovering closed restaurants with no one delivering. We grabbed it from the only open grocery store  5 minutes before closing (redemption: we did pick up romaine lettuce, too!).

IMG_1452
Our one non-delivery dinner in an actual restaurant. Also, our Chop’t day. LOVED the time with extended family!

Oy vey. I was so ready to get back on track after that trip! But when you go “off the ranch” it takes all the more willpower and discipline to find your way back.

Here are 3 things I have to remember about nutritional choices:

  1. It’s about moderation, not deprivation. Ice cream, pizza, burgers? Enjoy!  But be selective. A full-time diet of these foods will lead to lethargy, weight gain, and poor health. Follow the 80/20 rule… eat well 80% of the time and give yourself some leeway the other 20%.
  2. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. No one should live life in diet mode. Losing “x” number of pounds by “x” date leads to short-term satisfaction, but finding a nutritional program you can live with for the long-term is the key to lasting weight loss and good health.
  3. It’s about education, not perfection. Knowing what to eat and how to eat is the starting point. The more you know, the more equipped you are to make good choices. That doesn’t mean every choice will be, or should be, perfect. Keep learning and experimenting, and extend yourself grace when you make an imperfect choice.

The scale, and my clothes, have been telling me it’s time to buckle down. Fortunately, I have the tools to do it and they’re tools I share freely with others (just message me!). My next step is 21 Day Fix Extreme and my recovery starts Monday.

I know I am so much more than a number. I feel pretty good. But I know I feel better when I put better food into my body.

So, I get it. If you’re struggling to get back on track or feel like you need to make better food choices and get a little jump-start on your weight loss, I can help. Not because I’m perfect.

Because I’m just like you.

Question: What’s your biggest food challenge while traveling? 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s